Roam Fest Fruita Recap
Posted on October 22 2021
Roam Fest - Fruita, CO was our first event in over a year and a half, and wow did it feel good to be back! We got to hang with old friends, make new friends, and most of all help our fellow mtb-lovin' women look and feel amazing in their gear.
- Hanging out in Fruita. If you haven't been to Fruita, Colorado, please add it to your mtb destination bucket list. Roam took place at the 18 Road trails north of town. These trails are purpose-built, smooth desert singletrack the whole family can enjoy. Close by, you'll find other trail systems such as the Kokopelli Loops in Loma and Lunch Loops in Grand Junction. Of course, the Hot Tomato for a slice is must, so plan your rides accordingly!
Connecting with people IRL. It is so delightful to help you shop in-person. Those who know SHREDLY have a bigger selection of prints and styles than they've ever seen in one place (thank you magical traveling trailer), while riders new to SHREDLY get to try on all the different styles and sizes to find their perfect match. Plus, our founder and designer, Ashley (who has not missed a major event yet) loves getting to see SHREDLY on all different body shapes and sizes. She is always on the lookout for fit trends and uses this information to make improvements to current styles or as design inspiration for new styles.
So thank you to all of you for coming to see us - we loved getting to meet you, geek out about the fun trail you just rode, talk about how incredible it is when hundreds of women get together simply because we all love mountain biking or needed a weekend for ourselves.
- SHREDTalks Panel + Dance Party. This is always our favorite night of Roam. It started with delicious food and then everyone convened to listen as a panel of trailblazing women shared their stories and discussed diversity, equity, and inclusion in mtb. It was powerful and important. Thank you for your contributions:
- Alyssa Gonzalez (moderator), DEI Specialist and Outdoor Enthusiast
- Claudia Jackson, Navajo Leader
- Kailey Kornhauser, Body Positive Adventurer
- Isabel Rodríguez, Mexicana MTB Coach
- Brooke Goudy, Black Girls Do Bike Denver
- Alex Showerman, LGBQT Athlete/Ambassador
After the panel, the raffle-that-doesn't-suck-becuase-it's-hosted-by-a-stand-up-comic got the crowd (of mostly animal costumes) ready for the eruption that was a dance party to round out an amazing day.
- Film Screening. Ok, seriously. You're going to want to watch all these. THEN watch them again.
- All Bodies on Bikes
- Pedal Through
- Blackberry Swirl
- Fuel for Life
- Why is She so Good at Mountain Biking?
- Girls Gotta Eat Dirt
- Beyond Familiar
- Originate Formation
- Life of Pie
- TIE-DYE all the things! Chances are if you walked through the expo area, you saw some color explosions and then heard some oohing and awwing as the results were unveiled. We have to say, there were some professionals who brought their tie-dying-A-game (share your secrets with us?!). Hosting this tie-dying workshop filled our hearts up with so much joy. It checked all our value boxes.
- Feeling proud of something you made
Bonus: Happiest Hour. We had to sneak this one in! You all drank us dry! We can't blame you though - it was perfect hot toddy weather. If you're looking to recreate that moment in your own stock pot heated by a camping stove, here you go!
*Recipe inspired by the Floating Kitchen.
Roam Fest Fruita was fantastic. Any Roam event is, but this one was truly special. After pausing our event participation for the past year and half, it was the perfect way to dip our toes back into the water. We can't wait to see you in Sedona in a few weeks! Please stop by and say hello.
Important note: when we use the term "women" we are referring to LGBQT+ folx who identify as female, femme, or non-binary. xo